Wednesday 5 September 2018

The PHP / MYSQL Update query does not work

Can anyone tell my why this update query is not working?

if ($_GET['update']) {
include 'config.php';
//Connect to MYSQL Database server
$connect = mysql_connect(DB_HOST, DB_USER, DB_PASS) or die("Could not connect to MYSQL Database.");
$result = mysql_select_db(DB_NAME, $connect) or die("Could not connect to MYSQL table.");

mysql_query("UPDATE contact SET read = 1 WHERE id = '$_GET[update]'")or die("Query failed.");
echo "Update works!";
} else {
echo "Update does not work...ughh.";
}


I got the query to work. For anyone who was worrying about the security, I was using this script as a test to see if I wanted to use it. I just added the security now that the script works. Thank you all for the help and tips.

What is column read?
mysql_query("UPDATE contact SET read = 1 WHERE id = '$_GET[update]'")

Judging by the non-capitalization of read, I suspect you are using a reserved word in MySQL for that column.
See:
To Get around this, just put a single quote around read. I.E.
mysql_query("UPDATE contact SET 'read' = 1 WHERE id = '$_GET[update]'")

Or better per j.bruni:
mysql_query("UPDATE contact SET `read` = 1 WHERE id = '$_GET[update]'")

0 comments:

Post a Comment