Tuesday 6 November 2018

In MySQL, which collation should I choose?

When I create a new MySQL database through phpMyAdmin, I have the option to choose the collation (e.g.-default, armscii8, ascii, ... and UTF-8). The one I know is UTF-8, since I always see this in HTML source code. But what is the default collation? What are the differences between these choices, and which one should I use?

 Answers


Collation is not actually the default, it's giving you the default collation as the first choice.
What we're talking about is collation, or the character set that your database will use in its text types. Your default option is usually based on regional settings, so unless you're planning to globalize, that's usually peachy-keen.
Collations also determine case and accent sensitivity (i.e.-Is 'Big' == 'big'? With a CI, it is). Check out the MySQL list for all the options.

0 comments:

Post a Comment